Some conditions apply.
If you watch the tabloids, you know that even the stars have bad hair days. It just seems that when the professional stylists are out of the picture, it’s inherently human to have a less than glamorous mane. But you can do your part to stay ahead of the battle by following these great tips for hair care.
1. Use a professional shampoo and conditioner that is formulated for your specific hair type, making sure the shampoo you use is sulphate and paraben free, as well as using a good quality, professional conditioner. Also look for products in salons that are customised for your hair type. For instance; if you have coloured hair or extensions choose a shampoo & conditioner that’s specifically for coloured hair, and use a professional shampoo and conditioner especially designed for hair extensions.
Hair extensions require a specialised formulation to keep them in tip top condition. Always make sure that you stay away from all-in-one shampoo and conditioner combos as the additive which binds the polarised molecules are not kind to the hair. Try not to wash the hair more than 3 times a week to allow natural oils to protect the hair, and rinse the hair thoroughly after washing, then apply conditioner. Ensuring that the conditioner is combed through to the ends of the hair, rinse after 3-5 minutes for best results.
2. The number one mistake that people make when choosing a new hairstyle is to pick a style based on popularity or is trending. Always, choose a cut which will enhance or detract from your facial features or build.
3. Don’t forget your UV protectants! Just as your skin gets damaged by wind and sun, so does your hair. To combat this, look for finishing products such as mousses, gels and sprays that block UV rays.
4. Keep your appointments. Did you know that your hair will split faster than it will grow? You need to get a trim every 6 to 8 weeks, even if it’s just a micro trim.
5. Leave chemicals to the professionals. There is a reason why hairdressers need to go to school to learn how to handle chemicals and hair processes. You can do irreparable damage with these products even if the package says that it’s easy. Even if you don’t make your hair fall out, you could end up looking like a clown and paying a stylist big bucks to fix your mess!
6. Get colour for interest and body. Every cut needs a little bit of colour to make it truly breathtaking. No matter whether your taste is subtle or dramatic, you can add interest and volume to your hair with colour in several ways. Highlights and lowlights will add dimension to the hair and an all over colour will cover or blend grey hair, or add rich tones to the hair for a lower maintenance option. Balayage is also another option and is here to stay! It’s a great way to add colour with out the commitment, Chat with your colourist who will help advise to help find the perfect tone and method.
7. Do weekly conditioning treatments. Even if your hair is extremely healthy, it’s constantly on the attack from wind, sun, cold and heat. During the summer months, your hair goes through a lot and it is damaged even more by absorbing chlorine and chemicals from your pool.
8. Instead of damaging your hair with a conventional metal plated flat iron, straighten your tresses, add shine and infuse moisture with a healing stone flat iron. At Lushalox we use and recommend the Glam Palm Clinic which has a vibrating function to infuse heat not the hair shaft, while the healing stone adds incredible shine for all our work.
9. Choose your styling products wisely. Avoid products that leave build-up on your hair. If you see white gunk, that means that your product is not water-soluble and may be coating your hair shaft. Build-up causes limpness, breakage and inability to curl not to mention the white flakes.
10. Did you know that if you use a towel after your shower to dry your hair you are causing split ends and adding static electricity to your hair. Don’t rub the towel back and forth over your hair, instead scrunch the towel around your hair in a blotting motion.
While all of these tips won’t make you look like you’ve hired a personal hairdresser, they will help you look the very best that you can each and every day. When it comes to hair care, remember that you wear your hair everyday. Now isn’t it worth the time, effort and money that it takes to keep it looking spectacular?